LIVER, PARTICULARLY BEEF LIVER, GETS A BAD RAP AS BEING TOO STRONGLY FLAVORED.
however, BECAUSE THE RANDALL LINEBACKS LIVE THEIR BEST AND HEALTHIEST LIVEs, EATING NUTRITIOUS GRASSES AND DRINKING FRESH SPRING WATER, THEIR LIVER HAS A SWEETER, MORE DELICATE FLAVOR THAN YOU MIGHT BE USED TO. THAT SAID, FOLLOW THESE 2 KILLER PRO TIPS TO REDUCE THAT IRON TINGE EVEN MORE:
1) use BACON FAT
2) add ALLSPICE (WE KNOW! WE WERE SURPRISED, TOO!)
6 slices thick-cut bacon (or more if you want to emphasize the bacon flavor)
1-2 tbsp butter
1 very large or 2 med onions (roughly chopped)
2 garlic cloves (chopped)
1 lb Randall Lineback liver (trim veins/ thick white membrane, slice or chop into 1/2" thick pieces)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tsp heavy cream
1. Cook bacon in a large skillet until very crisp. Set bacon aside on a paper-towel lined plate. Leave bacon fat in skillet.
2. Add 1-2 tablespoons butter to bacon fat if needed.
3. Add onion(s) and cook on low heat in butter/bacon fat until almost caramelized, about 20 minutes.
4. Add garlic and cook about five minutes.
6. Add the liver on med heat in the remaining fat, until no longer bloody (about 5-7 minutes).
7. Let the liver and fat cool for a few minutes, then add to food processor.
8. Add salt, allspice, pepper and cream.
9. Blend until smooth.
10. Line a container with plastic wrap and pile the pate into the container— chill for at least 1 hour (the longer you chill, the more time the flavors have to meld together). To serve, turn the container over and peel away the plastic wrap.
11. Chop bacon into “bacon bits” and sprinkle over the top.
12. Alternatively, put the pate in a bowl and scoop it out as needed. Sprinkle the top with your bacon bits.
13. Serve with crackers, thinly sliced Fresh bread, etc.