Simple Seared Chef’s Cut Skirt Steak
This can be done inside on a griddle or outside on the grill. If neither is available, use a large skillet! Remember that Skirt Steak is among the most flavorful of cuts, but it can also get tough if overcooked. So err on the side of under-cooking and always always slice very thinly across the grain.
*Photos show untrimmed Chef's Cut Skirt Steak out of the package, trimmed Skirt Steak with oil, salt, and pepper, and sliced Skirt Steak after cooking to medium rare on a stovetop skillet*
2 Randall Lineback Chef’s Cut Skirt Steaks (approx. 2 lbs total)
If desired, marinate for 30 minutes before cooking (see Recipes Page)
If not marinating: 1 Tablespoon olive oil and salt and pepper to taste
If desired, can be served with Chimichurri sauce or Compound Butter (see Recipes Page)
1) Trim Skirt Steaks of silver skin and excess fat. (see photo above). Hammer with a mallet to tenderize (you can skip this step if you don't mind a little bit of chew to your Skirt Steak)
2) If desired, marinate for 30 minutes for cooking.
3) If not marinating, rub each steak with olive oil, then sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
4) Cut each skirt steak in half to make them more manageable. Make sure they are at room temperature before cooking.
5) Over medium high heat on a stovetop griddle or over a medium high flame on your grill, sear each side once for 2 minutes, then again for about 45 seconds if you desire medium rare doneness.
6) Set aside, tented under foil, for 5-10 minutes so the steaks can reabsorb their juices. You can place a bit of compound butter or chimichurri on top of the steaks as they rest)
7) To serve- slice very thinly, at a slant, across the grain in order to ensure tenderness.